St Albert’s convent and school was officially opened in 1956 with an enrolment of 74 primary and 6 secondary students. The original school building, consisting of two large rooms was built of Mt Gambier stone and is still in use today. The convent accommodated 6 Dominican nuns who came from the Mother House of Cabra at the request of Bishop Gallagher.
The Dominican sisters continued to serve St Albert’s until the end of 1980 when they found it necessary to withdraw their services completely. The Parish appointed their first lay Principal (Mr Arthur Paar) in 1981.
The School has made every effort to keep pace with changing needs and educational developments. To cater for changes, as well as for increasing numbers, all buildings have been upgraded and additional buildings have been added.