At St Anthony’s Catholic Primary School we strive to provide an education of excellence, through commitment to the Catholic tradition and living in a community where respect, justice and faith are celebrated.
The school was founded by the Sisters of Mercy in 1898. Catherine McAuley founded the Mercy Order, strongly believing that children should not be taught just the 3 Rs, but should also be educated in faith. Her Sisters’ mission was to devote themselves to the poor, whose need for a Catholic education was not being met.
They commenced teaching on the site, in a small wooden building known as the ‘Academy’, with an enrolment of 30 pupils. Their dedicated contribution to our school was to continue for 83 years.
The first lay principal was appointed in 1973. This appointment enabled the Sisters to continue their teaching in the school whilst allowing them more freedom to encompass the evolving diverse pastoral needs arising in the Catholic community.
1981 marked a significant period in the history of St Anthony’s with the Sisters of Mercy withdrawing their services from our school. The Convent of Mercy building was leased to a parishioner from 1984 until 1997, when the school purchased the lease. In 1999 the Convent of Mercy was renovated into administration and classroom areas and renamed Mercy House. The Chapel was also renovated and named Catherine McAuley Chapel.
Numerous educational, spiritual and material changes have taken place since the Sisters’ arrival in 1898 and will continue to do so as we continue to offer quality Catholic education – spiritually, academically, physically, emotionally and socially.
(The donations amount includes money raised since 2015).