The Salesian Sisters were invited to Adelaide by Archbishop Beovich and the first four arrived from the United States in November 1954. The school at Brooklyn Park opened the following February. In april 1956 the parish school, then known as Mary Help of Christians, was formally blessed and opened by Archbishop Beovich.
Ten years later, the school was renamed St John Bosco School and the first extensions, including a basketball and tennis court, were opened by Archbishop Gleeson.
St John Bosco School was administered by the Salesian Sisters from 1954 until the end of the 1996 school year. Today, a Lay Principal leads a professional, dedicated staff in this Parish Primary School, supported by the Catholic Education Office of the Adelaide Archdiocese.
The School Motto - Serve the Lord With Joy - is taken from Psalm 100.
“Serve the Lord with Gladness” is intertwined in the pedagogy and the family spirit which is characteristic of Salesian schools. St John Bosco believed that joy is at the centre of Christian life and that joyfulness flows from the heart where Jesus is central.
For our school community, the ability to serve the lord with joy touches every aspect of a young person’s formation, school life and family life.
(The donations include money raised since 2015).