St Joseph's School, Hindmarsh, began on its present site on Grange Road in 1928. Prior to this, the Sisters of St Joseph had conducted a school on the corner of Chief Street and Port Road at nearby Brompton, since the 1880s. An even earlier school set up by the Josephites had existed in Brompton between 1867 and 1871.
In 1928, the Grange Road site was purchased by the parish and a five roomed building was constructed. The house next door was purchased by the Sisters as a convent. In 1951 an extension to this was made including the addition of a Chapel which was used by both the Sisters and the children of the school.
A house on the eastern side of Bertie Street was purchased and for many years was used as the site for secondary students. In the 1970s the secondary school was closed and Siena College at Findon became the regional secondary school. The Junior Primary classes were transferred across to the site of the former secondary building.
In 1990, this land was sold and a property in Albemarle Street, adjacent to the convent, was purchased. New buildings and development of playspace occurred at this time. Further development occurred in 1992 when two upstairs classrooms were added.
In recent times, the school has undergone a significant upgrade of buildings and resources, including new classrooms and administration areas, along with a Multi-purpose Hall and new Preschool facility.
The school continues today in the tradition of the Josephites, where all children are welcomed and a community of care and respect is fostered. Our school motto “In Omnibus Caritas” translates as “In All Things Love”.