Whitefriars School began as a Church/School in October 1912.
Originally named “Our Lady of the Sacred Heart” the name “Whitefriars”, which reflects the Carmelite Fathers' connection with the School, was given to the school in 1933. At that time Woodville was in the Carmelite Parish of Alberton. “Whitefriars” was the old English name of the Carmelite Fathers, to distinguish them from the 'Blackfriars' or Dominican Fathers.
The Sisters of St Joseph have staffed the school and provided a Catholic Education on this site since 1912 and the spirit of the Josephites lives on strongly in the school community today.
(Donations include money raised since 2017).